Active Panel main door panel.

Air infiltration Test that measures how much air leakage comes through a window or a door. The lower the number is the better.

Aluminum Surround Aluminum frame that surrounds the screen or energy panel.

Apron Piece of casing or trim that is installed against a wall beneath the stool of a window.

Arch window 4 sided and curved at the top.

Argon Gas Odorless and colorless gas that is filled the airspace between insulating Low E glass. Argon gas increases insulating performance of Low E glass.

Art glass Glass that is decorative and comes in an array of colors, shapes, patters to accent a door or window.

Assembly Units mulled together.

Astragal Molding that is applied to one stile of a French Door, also Sliding French Doors or French Casemaster window which other door panel or window sash stricks. Usually will be found on the astragal side.

Authentic Divided Lites (ADL) Permanent stationary bars and muntins that separate the glass in a window or door sash to give the sash more lites of glass. This is also known as True Divided lite.

Awning Window A unit combination of frame ans sash, that is hinged on the top of the vertical jabs, this allow the unit to pivot with the sash opening to the outside of the location.

Balancer Counter-Weight mechanism used in the jab liner to help raise or lower a double-hung or single hung sash.

Bars Narrow rabbeted, can be vertical or horizontal sash in a dived lite unit, it extends from rail to rail or stile to stile along the length or width of glass opening.

Bay Windows Multiple windows installed in a bay that is two flanker units and a center sash; bay can be polygon or arc. If the bay window is arched, the window is then called a bow. See Bow Windows.

Blindstop Part of the frame on a double hung window that is located between jambs and casings.

Bow Windows A series of adjoining window units, installed on a radius.

Bow window Windows consisting of three or more that projects outs the wall from a radius.

Brick Mould Casing BMC Exterior moulding of window and door frames that abutson the exterior materials of a structure.

Cam Lock Operated lock that prevents intrusion from the sash.

Cam Pivot Units rest on the clutch system located in the balance tube and allows opening and closing of the sash. Zinc pivot pin is attached on the top and bottom of the sash stiles mostly found in the double hung windows.

Casement window Hinged sash that opens on the side. Providing top to bottom ventilation.

Casing Flat molding used for interior perimeters on a window or door that covers space between the window or door and rough opening between units.

Check rail Found on double-hung windows where the bottom sash and top sash are located, this unit is mounted.

Circle Top™ (Half Round) window This unit consist a curved top and linear bottom.

Cladding Attached to exterior unit this is a low maintenance covering or coating.

Clear opening The opening size of the unit when it is fully opened.

Clerestory Mainly unreachable the window is located up high on a wall.

Coil stock Transition piece between a unit that is made of roll aluminum. It is located between the exterior and sliding/trim.

Combination Storm Available for double hungs, wood swinging doors, and gliders these panels can be removed. They are mostly made of wood or aluminum.

Combination unit Single frame of a storm window and insect screen.

Combination Window Usually a wood or clad wood frame sash with self-storing screen. Side glass panels installed on gliders slide to the left or right of any position. All panels are removed from the inside.

Condensation Water that is collected as droplets on the glass, sash, or panel in the interior or exterior.

Conversion kit Retrofit kit that adds tilting capabilities.

Cornice Ornamental molding on the top of a window that is mostly position above the trim.

Cottage window Double-hung window the upper sash is shorter than the bottom.

Damage Function Ultra-Violet (UV) and any visible light that comes from the sun that causes fading. The lower the number is the less the fabric will fade.

Daylight Opening (DLO) Width and height of glass that is visible.

Decorative drip cap Ornament piece that is placed at the top of the window above exterior trim that deflects water way from the top of the window.

Depth of the Jamb Points where exterior casings and and interior casings begins. For the clad units, from the backside of the nailing to the interior of the frame.

Design Pressure Building code that is required to pass the wind load pressure.

Direct glazed, direct set Stationary unit that is directly glazed into a frame.

Divided Lites Light by the use of muntin bars.

Double Hung Double Hung windows that two sashes that are movable that operate vertically. Double hung are held open with the use of coil spring block.

Double Hung Tilt Pac Made to order package that includes everything that is needed to replace a double hung sash and it’s hardware without having to change the frame.

Dowel joint Corner joint created by boring matching holes into a rail and style and is joined by a dowel pin.

Drip Cap Aluminum or vinyl piece that is installed on the top of windows or doors that lets water run off the casing of the window instead of seeping around the casing into the window.

Dual pane/Double pane glass Uncoated glass (non Low- E) that consist of two panes air-filled cavity. This is not argon-blend-gas filled.

Egress window Venting window that is a requirement for building codes used for emergency escapes and rescue.

Electric operator Motorized device for remote operation for awning window.

Energy Panel (EP) Formally known as RDG removable double galzing, is a glass tempered, and the edges are finished by surround. They are applied to doors and windows.

ENERGY STAR® Program backed up by government to help consumers identify products that are energy efficient.

Equal lite Equal space grill bars that are for windows and doors.

Escutcheon plate Door handle that is decorative and conceals the locking function.

Extension jamb Component made of wood that is use to fastened the inside of a window or door that extends the unit frame tot he wall depth.

Exterior trim Decorative trim placed around the exterior perimeter of window or door.

Extruded aluminum Aluminum that is shaped through dye, more durable than roll-formed material.

Extrusion Product of vinyl or metal by the process of extruding. Vinyl jab liners and aluminum cladding are used on the exterior units.

Fenestration Opening in a structure of a window, door or skylights. It can also mean the replacement of windows, and doors in a building.

Film Removable transparent material that protects glass during construction.

Fixed/Stationary A unit that is has no ventilation or is non operable.

Flashing Material that is water resistant that directs water to a drainage or to the outside surface of a building or business.

Folding door Door with multiple hinging panels that may be folded together to form a large opening.

Footbolt A locking device that is intalled vertically of a door or screen that when activated it secures the panel or screen in stationary position.

Foot lock Auxiliary lock used for gliding doors that secure the operating panel.

Frame Outside structure of a window or a door that holds panel in position.

Frame Expander An aluminum extrusion used with a a 90 degree frame expander that provides a flat appearance for clad units.

French casement window Window with two open sashes that open out to provide a center opening with no center post.

French Door Available in outswing or inswinging rectangular or arch top style choices.

Full divided light Grille expected to reproduce the look of a True Divided Light unit; comprises of an inside grille, outside grille and spacer between the glass sheets.

Finger-Joint An arrangement of fingers machined into the finishes of two bits of timber to be joined together. They are then held solidly in position by glue. Finger jointed wood is extremely solid and has a lesser possibility of distorting than does an agreeable bit of wood the same length.

Flanker A previous term used to depict a side or lateral part. Likewise at one time used to describe a 3-wide picture unit or bay. See all inclusive passage.

Flat Pieces of pine in different widths and thickness for trimmings in doors and windows openings.

Friction Limiter A device that is used for a magnum tilt-turn in order to provide friction the the sash when it’s in the swing position.

Glass Size (GS) The measurement of the glass, not visible glass.

Glazing When the glass is being installed into windows or doors.

SINGLE GLASS A single unit of glass.

INSULATING GLASS Two panes of glass that are separated by a spacer they are sealed together with dead air in between the panes.

Glazing Bead Strips of wood or vinyl used to hold the glass in position of the sash. A vinyl bead is held by extruded barbs position in the kerf. Aluminum caps are sometimes used over the vinyl bead.

Glazing Two sided adhesive tape that is placed between glass rabbet and glass glazing bed.

Glider Horizontal operating windows with one sash being fixed and the other glides open horizontally.

Gliding door/sliding door A door where one panels slides horizontal. It contains two or more panels.

Grilles Between Glass (GBG’s) Bars made of aluminum flat or countour that visually divides the glass.

Grilles Wood Muntins that latch to the interior of the sash and creates the effect of divided lites, it is removable for easy cleaning.

Gusset plate Metal plate attached to a window or door to strengthen a window or door joint

Handing A word to describe left or right hand operation on a window or door.

Head Jamb The top of a frame.

Head-bolt A device for locking that is installed vertically in the stile and sometimes in the astragal of a door screen, When it’s activated it secures the door.

Historical A word used to describe a window or door, the requirements of historical renovation standards.

Half insect screen Insect screen that covers the operating sash in a gliding or sash windows.

Head board/Seat board Grade wood that is shaped to the angles of a bay or bow window which forms the finished lower and upper interior surfaces.

Header Beam that is heavy and extends across the top of an opening which prevents the weight of the wall or roof to rest on the window frame.

Impact Resistant glass Frequently used in hurricane-prone areas it is made of laminated glass for protection from wind-borne debris.

Inactive Panel Operating door panel that is secondary.

Insect screen A woven mesh that is attached to the frame. It allows outside ventilation and keeps insects out.

Insert window A window that is installed inside the frame of a pocket of an existing windows.

Insulating glass unit Glass panes that are sealed together for increased energy efficiency.

Inswing French Door French doors that with panels that swing to the inside.

Inswinging Casement A non-tilting Magnum Tilt-turn.

Interior Casing The trim used on the inside of the perimeter of a window or door.

Jamb Extension Usually surfaced on four side, increases or extends depth of exterior or interior frame.

Jamb Liner Strips that are made of thin wood attached to head jamb, side jabs or sills to accommodate an array wall thickness.

Jalousie window Louvered window with many horizontal glass parts that are rotated to open or close.

Jamb Window or door frame parts that form top and sides of a window.

Jamb clips Brackets made out of metal that are used to secure a unit through an opening from the inside.

Jamb liner Frame cover surface from the inside where the sash slide usually on a double-hung window.

J-channel Components that surrounds a window for the purpose to hide the seam that is between the siding and the window.

Keeper A receiver on a sash that lock.

Keyed Cylinder A lock that provides an exterior entry and locking Lock A lock providing an exterior entry and locking accommodation.

Keyed lock A Patio Door lock that allows locking and unlocking from the outsides.

Krypton Gas Inert gas that is know for it’s ability to provide insulation properties in a small air space.

Laminated glass Glass that is layers to resist any breakage and hold together if broken.

Laminated Veneer Lumber (LVL) Wood that is engineered that consist of multiple layers of thin wood bonded together.

Lift The handle that’s located on the bottom of a double hung window, that makes it easy to raise or lower the sash.

Light/Lite Individual glass panes with a window or door.

Lock A mechanism that is use to secure windows and doors.

Low-E glass Glass with a low-emissivity that restricts heat loss.

Low E II Glass High performance Low E glass, that provides the best winter value in the center of the glass. It offers a huge significant improvement to reduce solar heat gain, it gibes customers one of the coolest summer glass temperature of all available E products.

Laminated Glass Two sheets of glass that is fused with a sheet of transparent plastic that is between the glass sheets. If broken the laminated glass will not leave the opening.

Laminating A method that glues strips of thin clear wood to lengthwise surfaces of jointed material that gives an appearance of clear stock.

Lever Lock A handle that’s a lever and a lever arm operator that is mostly an option for awning windows.

Masonry opening An opening in a stucco wall, brick, or stone where a window or door is installed.

Measurement guide A tool that determines the dimensions of a replacement window.

Meeting stile A location in a gliding window or door where there is overlap in the panel or sash.

Monolithic glass Glass with no air space, mostly used in coastal applications.

Mortise-and-tenon Wood joints that are fitted together in one board and the matching projecting member on the adjoining board.

Mulling The joining of two or more windows or doors together. They can run vertically, horizontally or both.

Mullion The horizontal or vertical joint between a single window or door unit that are combined.

Multi-point lock Lock that hinges on a panel or sash in numerous locations. It is activated in one motion.

Nailing Fin A vinyl strip that is inserted in to a kerf in the frame of clad units.

Non-Keyed Cylinder A handle with no key cylinder. The door can’t be locked from the outside.

NFRC A non profit organization from the National Fenestration Rating Council that provides energy performance ratings for windows, doors and skylights.

Obscure glass A texture pattern glass that provides many degrees of opacity that limits visibility through a window or door.

Operator Arm made of metal with gear and handle that is used to open or close hinged windows.

Outdoor/Indoor Transmission Class (OITC) A standard measurement used to specify the rate of sound transmission between outdoors and indoors.

OX / XO “OX” or XO” is a term to identify an opening direction of a gliding window or gliding door. The “X” is for operating and the “O” is for stationary.

Obscure Glass A formed molten glass that is formed from special rollers. The rollers have a pattern that makes the glass to become obscure.

One-Wide (1W) A term used to describe a frame with a frame with one or many sash or panels.

Operator A working panel, unit or sash. An operating sash, panel or unit.

OSM Measurement of the outside.

Outswing French Door A french window door that contain panels that swing outside. Up to four panels units are available for operating or stationary.

Panel Wood frame with glass that is stationary or operating.

Panning A word is used to describe aluminum covering extrusion components.

Part Stop A wood strip with weather stripping attached that prevents air and water. Parts are mostly found on the head jamb of a double hung unit.

Pitch A word used to an angle of a roof.

Plinth Block A block of wood that is decorative that is used between the vertical casing and the top casing of a unit to provide elegance.

Pole Crank Pole extension made of aluminum to open and close roof windows or awnings. They are inaccessible because of their height.

Polygon A word used to describe octagons, trapezoids, pentagons, hexagons and triangles.

Prime The first coat that consists more than one application in a unit. It is also known as a primer.

Pultrusion Lineal profiles of constant cross sections that combine plastic resin glass fiber reinforcement. They are thermally insulating and structural components are suited where strength, thermal stability and weather resistance are required. For example patio door frames and commercial windows.

Pyrolytic Low E Glass (Hardcoat) Pyrolytic Low-E glass designed to be used in non-insulation such as energy panels that have visible surfaces or for insulating glass.

Palladian window A large window arched top flanked with small windows on each slide.

Panel The rail, stile and glass assemble on a door.

Panning kerf A groove that is narrow on the outside frame edge of a united mostly used to accept aluminum or trim coil.

Parting stop A frame that is narrow and hold a panel or sash in it’s position.

Patterned glass Glass that allows light while it obscures vision.

Performance Grade (PG) A rating for a unit that has been tested for water, air, structural and force entry performance.

Plinth block A block of wood that is found on comers of a unit that creates transitions from horizontal and vertical inside trim.

Pocket door A door panel that can be hidden by a wall. The panels slide into a wall.

Pre-finished A painted or stained unit from the factory that is ready for installation. no coat is required.

Pultrusion Stiff composite material in profile form that is made from polymeric glass fiber and resin.

Push-out casement A casement unit that has no crank handle. The window is opened by openingh the sash lock and pushing it out.

Rail Horizontal parts of a window sash or door panel framework.

Reinforced mull Mull that uses material such as steel, aluminum, wood and LVL that provides a strong joint.

Removable Interior grille Inside grill that can be easily removed to clean.

Reverse Cottage/Oriel window Double-hung window that the upper sash is bigger than the lower sash.

Rough opening An opening in a wall to install a window or door. The opening is larger that the unit to allow for shimming and insulation.

Simulated Divided Lites (SDLs) Muntins that permanently Muntins permanently cling to the interior and exterior of the glass.

R-Value Material that has resistance to heat flow. The higher the number has the greater the insulating is.

Rabbet Grove along or close to the edge of a piece of wood.

Radius The length from the center point of a circle to circumference of a circle.

Rails Horizontal or cross parts of a framework of a door, sash or other assembly.

Relief Kerf Kerfs machined in the frame part of a unit.

Retro-Sizing Means units which are measured for replacement.

Rolled Aluminum A word to describe aluminum from screen and energy panel that are fabricated by a roller of many roller the make the desired profile.

Roller Cams Adjustable roller of the multi lock hardware that is placed on the sash of a french casemaster part.

Rose a round cover plate that attaches tot he stile right behind the knob or handle. It can be decorative or plain design.

Roto-Gear A word use to describe steel drive worm, and crank device used to open awnings and casemasters.

Rough Opening Opening withing a wall where the window or door is installed. The openings are larger than the size of the window to allow room for insulation.

Round Top Typically a semicircle window that is mulled on the top of another door or window, forming an look of a round top.

Round Top Tilt-Turn A circle top sash.

Spacer Bar Aluminum small bars that are inserted between muntins to emulate ADL>

Sash Operating portion of a window that is separate from the frame. The following are part of a sash.

STILES Vertical sash parts.

RAILS Horizontal sash parts.

CHECK RAILS Horizontal sash parts that meet in double hung windows. THey can be vertical check stile, such as glider or patio door.

BARS Divisional parts extends from rail to rail from stile to stile in a divided lite unit.

MUNTINS Divisional members that extend from bar to rail or another bar.

Sash Limiter A metal part that attaches a casemaster sill and bottom rail that limits the opening.

Sash Lock A device that locks the window shut, such as a lock at the rails of a double hung unit. Bigger units usually use two locks.

Sash Opening (SO) Opening that is between wood frame parts both width and height. The measurement is used when measuring opening of a double hung tilt.

Sash Retainer Plate A retainer plate made of nylon that is on a double hung and double hung sash to secure the bottom part.

Sash Width horizontal measurements across the face sash.

Screen OM (outside measurement) Width and height of a screen that includes wood or metal parts.

Screens A mesh woven screen material made of fiberglass that latches to an aluminum or wood parts.

Side Jamb The side part of the frame.

Sidelite A stationary glass panel to installed next to a door.

Sill Horizontal part that forms at the bottom of a window or the outside door frame; the lowest part of the frame of a structure, resting the foundation and supports the frame.

Sill-Horn Lip extension of a window sill to the outside of the edge of the casing.

Single Hung A window that resembles a double hung window, except the top sash is non operable.

Sliding French Door A sliding door that uses french door style panels

Sloped Measurement of the tilt of a line.

Snubber Interlocking metal bracket that is attached in the center of the hinge side of a casemaster sash and frame with a height of 40′ on both sides of an awning sash frame with a height of 48′ or more.

Spacer It separates two pieces of glass in an insulating glass panel.

Square Foot Measuring the areo of a unit.

Stabilizer Arm A piece of hardware for the tilt turn window that is attached tot he header top rail corner drive on the handle side that limits travel of the sash when opened in tilt mode.

Starburst A semi-elliptical area, the lower center is the part where the dividing meet outwardly. It can be constructed of glazed sash, ADL, SDL and removable grilles.

Stationary A non operating panel, sash or unit.

Stationary Sash Bracket A L bracket that is 90 degree use to secure stationary casemaster and awning sash to the frame. The sash may be removed to be replaced.

Stiles Vertical or upright perimeter piece of a sash, screen or panel.

Stool A trim that is horizontal that laps the window sill above the apron and extends the interior casing.

Storm Sash A frame assemble that contains glass that is non removable.

Structural Masonry Brackets Installation bracket that is used with many high and wide window units or large doors that adds structural support. They are also used to attach the unit in an opening in place of nailing the casing, by eliminating nail holes.

Sub-Sill Supplemental member of a frame that is used under awnings and casements windows as an additional sill with the main purpose of being able to hold many units together.

Surround A trim that is not only protective or attractive that is used to secure energy panel by vinyl barb to give the glass panel a finished edge.

Tempered glass Safety glass that when broken broken it breaks into small pieces.

Threshold Decorative wood used to transition door sill to the inside flooring.

Top hung insect screen Insect screen used for patio doors that are on the top.

Transition block A piece of wood used to cover the joint between extensions casings or jambs.

Transom Window that is positioned above a window or door.

Triple pane Glass construction with 3 layers of glass and two air spaces.

True Divided Light (TDL) Windows and doors that multiple smaller glass lite are frame in a panel or sash.

U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) Non profit organization that promotes in how buildings are designed and operated.

U-Factor Common measurements of heat transmission by window or door. The lower the U-factor, the better the value.

Unobstructed glass opening Glass that is visible.

UV protection Percentage of (UV) Ultra violet transmission from the sun’s energy. The lower the rating the potential for reduced fabric rating.

Vapor barrier Watertight material that prevents moisture around windows and doors.

Vent Limiter Device that does not allow window operation and cannot be disengaged without effort.

Venting unit Window or doors that opens and closes.

Vinyl Polyvinyl Chloride material that is durable and resistant to any corrosion.

Visible light transmission Light allowed to enter through a window.

Weatherstrip Material designed to seal the sash to the frame.

Weep holes Holes that are placed on the outside of a window or door that allows water drainage.

Window Opening Control Device (WOCD) A device used to restrict the opening dimension of a window when first opened to less than 4 inches, but can be disengaged to allow for a full opening of a sash for escape and rescue.